Sunday, March 29, 2015

Cheerfully!

How y'all doin??


Okay so this week was pretty awesome. I got to hold this parrot named mango, his owner wasn't interested in learning more about the restored gospel but he let me hold his bird despite my slight terror. I'm overcoming fears all over the place, I'm tellin ya! But I still won't hold one of our investigator's giant scorpion, that's just too much haha. Anyways the parrot wasn't really what made this week awesome.


Brian got baptized! It was awesome, the ward all contributed and it was a great experience! Brian was late to sacrament meeting for his confirmation. We couldn't get a hold of him either, so we were terrified! But then after the sacrament he and Lakenzie walked in and we got down to business and he received the gift of the holy ghost. He and Lakenzie keep us on our toes, that's for sure. Love them!


This week we met with one of our investigators, Christina. She lives in the projects--yep I thought I had left projects forever when I left Chattanooga, but lucky for me I still get the adventure. Anyways the first time we met we taught her the restoration and her mom was there was pretty argumentative and get this, Christina was standing up for the things we were teaching her! Cool huh? So this week we went over and read the Book of Mormon with her this last time and she really understood the purpose of gaining a testimony of it. At the end of the lesson she prayed to know it was true. It was awesome to see her humility. She is a sweet heart.


I've been thinking a lot about Doctrine and Covenants 123:17 this week:


"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."


Okay so a lot of you know this about me, I'm a planner. I like to plan things in advance-- like for instance at home I'd plan my birthday celebrations in July or August just to guarantee perfect preparation for September 14th haha. But here in the mission you really see the things right in front of you that aren't in your control, and it requires a ton a patience! Something I'm probably not known for.. I can't control people's reactions to the things we are teaching. I can't control if Brian shows up to sacrament meeting on time or if Sister Johnson puts liquid dish washing soap in the dishwasher and suds get all over the floor (haha love her). In these instances I definitely have the option to not be patient, but in order to stand still, to see the arm of God, I must CHEERFULLY do all things that lie in MY power. I have to learn to be patient with the actions of other people-- and to do it cheerfully! That word makes a huge difference!


Love y'all! Have a splendid week!


Sister Merrell

No comments:

Post a Comment